February 27, 2010

Living in a virtual world...

Can't buy your own island in Dubai? Don't sweat it, you can buy one on the cheap at Second life.


Thanks to Grace Patuwo, I learned that "Second Life “residents” interact with each other through highly customized avatars ranging from Victorian debutantes to flying dolphins. Residents can create, buy and trade virtual property and services in Second Life by using Linden dollars, L$, which are bought with real money. As of Feb. 10, the exchange rate was L$260 for every U.S. dollar."

I mean, really? Linden dollars? Kudos to Philip Rosedale and Linden Lab. On a more practical note, Second Life has given those in the education industry a new cost-effective teaching tool. The point being that educators can easily enhance (or even replace) classroom experiences with virtual capabilities just as well as Second Life can help students as an effective self-learning tool. Think Blackboard meets Facebook on steroids.

On the consumer side, lets just say I can be as fit and good looking as (insert your all-time celebrity crush list here.) Second Life lets me create my own avatar, a virtual, "physical" representation of my awesome persona. Now that I'm born into this world, I'm ready to go shopping (to the virtual mall, of course). On her USA Today article, Jayne O'Donnell mentions that "sales of virtual goods will reach about $1 billion this year and could grow to $1.6 billion next year, according to a report by market researcher Inside Network."

Is Second Life (and its residents) immune to the historical economic pressures facing the real world today? Maybe I should think of moving there post-MBA and start looking for jobs. (Insert company name here) Virtual Senior Associate, what do you think?

Image from Gizmodo.

2 comments:

  1. Haha..you are funny! I was amazed at how much people spend on their avatars. The technology is brilliant and will surely have great capabilities, but I do not see myself shopping for my avatar! I guess this shows how much people are dying to be something they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricky, when you negotiate your compensation as a VSA (Virtual Senior Associate), make sure you get paid in the US dollars! I do not think virtual meals are that nutritious:)
    On a brighter side - I would not mind spending only a couple of dollars on my business suit and working from home too!

    ReplyDelete